Saturday, September 21, 2013

TEDx Indianapolis. Transforming a city. Being light.

What better way to kick-off a new blog than with a TEDx event?!



First off- If you recently left an Amish community, time traveled, or otherwise don't know what TED is, click here

This particular TED series was centered around transforming our cities, and how we can better connect. I was excited to attend, because I like that neighborhood and community micro-level change is possible right where we are.

I was able to capture the talk of Jarrod Dortch of Big Car on my phone camera, so if you can forgive the mediocre quality and the fact that he is sometimes standing behind the huge beam in the middle of the room- it can be viewed here: 





Several points that I took away from the sessions were:

The role of cities is to connect people.
This may seem obvious at first, but cities are concentrated people environments. There is so much potential in cities to connect, reach out and minister to people, or help organize movements to create and advocate for change. We live much closer to each other in cities, and there are more of us, so it is easier to connect and reach out than in sprawling suburbs or vast rural areas.

“There is a plague of same-ness which is killing the human joy”
The statistic was given that ‘only ½ the people that live in Indianapolis suburbs actually want to live in them’. ( 30% of Indianapolis residents live in suburbs, and only 15% actually want to live in them- Bryan Stumpf of 11th Street Development) This is a good sign that many people actually want to live closer to the city. Work in the city. Play in the city. Worship in the city.  Not that suburbs are an altogether bad thing, however they often lack the richness of diversity (race, socioeconomic levels, culture, ethnicities, religion) that exists in the city that can challenge our perspectives. Cities create an environment where not only the architecture and living spaces are more varied, but so are the demographics, history and the experiences of the people.

Embrace your role in shaping your city
Cities attract so many different types of people! Everyone has a role. We are stronger in community than we are alone. There is also power in communities to shape their own futures.

So...
How can God use me in my city?
 Who are my neighbors and how can I get to know them? And more honestly- do I really have to get to know them? (*shuffles feet*) I live in Fountain Square- if you know Indianapolis, you know why I might pause. Do I even want to know them? Matthew 5:14 says: "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.” I am called to be a light. I am called to BE a neighbor. How can I show my neighbors love right here, and right now? How do I connect with them? Where do I start?


This is my city. (2.5 miles from my house)

This is also my city. (Just around the corner from my house)


I decided to take an idea from Jarrod's talk and start a Facebook page for my neighborhood. I am opening up my online presence to my neighbors which at times may be more or less risky than reaching out to them in person. Either way, it's a start.

I hope for it to be a way for us to reach out to one another in times of need (ex: "Anyone available for 15 minutes to help move an old couch"), to alert each other when something is wrong (ex: "My car was broken into last night, did anyone see something?"), or simply being a marketplace of exchange ("Hey I am getting rid of an old dresser behind my garage, any takers?") 

The idea of connecting and reaching out will look differently to each of us, as each of our communities are unique and contain unique solutions.

I believe that God has placed each of us in this specific time period, in this specific place, and for specific reasons. 


How is God using you geographically, right where you are? 

No comments:

Post a Comment