Thursday, October 10, 2013

What we can learn from Malala

After the madness on Capitol Hill the past few weeks, the words from Malala Yousafzai, a 16 year old girl from Pakistan might be enough to sustain your faith in humanity before you totally give up. She is up for the Nobel Peace prize. And for good reason. Check out her story here

(If you haven't already seen it) below is a clip from her interview on the daily show.



Her remarkable words:
"I started thinking about that, and I used to think that the Talib would come, and he would just kill me. But then I said, 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' then I would reply to myself, 'Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.'  But then I said, 'If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.' Then I said I will tell him how important education is and that 'I even want education for your children as well.' And I will tell him, 'That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'"
Wow. Amen, sister. 

This video resonated so strongly with me for two reasons:
1) It is a reminder that as women we have influenceYoung women have a voice. We have things to say and peace to spread. Also, she is sixteen years old. SIXTEEN! What an incredible voice for her generation. She didn't just want education and peace for her assailant, but also for his children. What an incredible example.
2) Her words also instantly conjure up the words and actions of humanitarian giants like Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, and MLK Jr. Each of them not only believed in, but lived non-violence. Turning the other cheek. Treating others better than they wanted to be treated, Responding in situations in life-giving and breathtaking ways that shine light and inspire all of us to be better to one another. At the end of the interview John Stewart, visibly in awe, said to Malala, "I don't know where you are from, but I am glad you are here." I believe that such love towards our enemies can only come from God, which is eternal, and not of this world.
I've been thinking a lot lately on how I respond to others, especially on social media in the midst of deeply entrenched political sound-offs and blame. (See previous post) Malala's words also apply here. "You must fight others through peace and through dialogue and through education." Peaceful words, not Hateful words. Dialogue, not Monologue. Education, not Lies.

Jesus told us to love our enemies. To LOVE our enemies. Not just to tolerate them. Not just to ignore them. But to actually LOVE them. This includes our internet enemies ( Preachin' to myself here.) Love is not neutral, but it is active. So I have to ask myself, what does this look like in my life? How do I bring peace where I am? How do I love people whom I strongly disagree with?

May we learn to show peace in small ways so that someday we can earn the privilege to show peace in big ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment