Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Lost Art of Letter Writing


Hey all! I have been absent because I've been a liiiiiitle bit busy rushing around doing final school projects and making so many cards for the shop. After writing and reading all day and all night for class, even wonderful pleasureful blog writing loses its luster. But most of that is over, so I'm back. :)

Can I just say that is is CHRISTMAS CARD SEASON!?!
It is the one time a year the abandoned art of letter writing comes back to life! We can send tweets and texts and emails but no other form of communication compares to the delight of receiving a letter or card in the mail.Except maybe a singing telegram, but I've never received one, so I wouldn't know. 

Letter writing carries with it an intimacy that is not available in electronic formats. When we send a letter, we hold it. We write on it with our own unique handwriting, and physically send it. It is so special. It is tactile. It is a tangible thing. It contains a glimpse of our personality and warmth in our signature and handwritten message each time it is looked at. And many people save cards for years to come. (insert joke about hoarders here)

It is my JOY to make Christmas cards. It is a joy to make any greeting cards, really, but especially Christmas cards. I love knowing as each one is made, that as I glue and print and stamp and measure, that it is intentionally going to someone, who (hopefully) will hang it up, or will at least open it and feel the love from the person that sent it.  I love that. I cherish that image, and it drives what I do. 

This year I made simple rustic designs, as I feel my own heart was yearning for something quieter, simpler and familiar. The mason jar seems to symbolize that these days, and I think it helps the card to evoke that timeless homemade quality that we feel is in our hearts and reminds us of our roots.

So the cards are up in the shop! I have freshly made Christmas cards in the shop that are almost as delightful as freshly made cookies, but if you already have yours for the season, consider giving (non-seasonal) cards as a gift, (or as a gift for yourself!) to send messages to those you love all year long!

You can check out my shop here.


No comments:

Post a Comment