Sunday, October 6, 2013

Influence Conference Recap

  
Last weekend I attended a blogging writing life conference.

As I wrote in a previous post, I found out about the conference last minute by stumbling upon the Influence Network while doing some late-night Twitter stalk-networking (If you have Twitter, I know that you know exactly what I mean). I had barely begun my blog just days before, so I felt like a total impostor by buying a ticket, but I nervously, hesitantly, excitedly signed up and went anyway.

...Am I thankful I did.


I went to meet other women, to learn about strategy, to learn how to blog, and while I did learn these things, the one thing I wasn't planning on happened. I encountered the Lord in this personal and dynamic way. Like rekindling a bruised and tired relationship by being romanced and reminded why you are still together. (And by rekindled, I mean blowtorch to cold ashes, rekindled.) 

The words that the women spoke over us were compelling, encouraging and were rich in truth. Gospel truth.  I was hesitant to write this post, because I am still processing- still digesting all that happened, and have yet put words to the place where so many feelings lie. 


(shoe-cutting party!)

Thursday.
Besides being warmly greeted upon entrance with a cute bag full of free stuff(!), the first night we cut shoes for children in Uganda with Sole Hope. It was simultaneously powerful and humbling  to know that the fabric I was tracing, cutting, touching, would be placed on the feet of children whose lives could be forever changed by a pair of shoes. That shoes would give them hope from debilitating parasites that could keep them from going to school, from getting an education, from losing their legs. I left feeling burdened for the children there, but also less nervous about the next few days. Mostly because I knew that the women who were leading the conference had their hearts in the right place. And I could trust what was to come. 

(essentials: coffee, pen, notebook, check!)

There were so many pages and pages of notes from those two days. So many ideas and truths I took with me. But below are some of the big ones for me. 

Friday.
  • Hayley Morgan reminded me to be free in truth by speaking out loud the lies that so many of us believe. Truth: We as women have influence. We have worth. We are seen. We are not a bother or a liability when we speak out. Our opinions and voices as women are valuable, and we are loved.
  • Lara Casey told us how to make things happen. Visit her site. She is truly amazing. If you want/ need motivation or help with setting goals, check out her goal setting pages here
  • Shauna Niequist re-ignited my love and passion for writing. She also reminded me to seek community and to not isolate when it gets hard because THAT is when growth happens. THAT is when it gets beautiful. I am also currently halfway through her book 'Bittersweet' (which was handed out at the conference for free!). It is so so good. 
(Business/ Blog cards from all the women I met on the 1st day)
Saturday.
  • Jessi Connolly spoke about feminine influence and the work we do. That we are often timid about being women, but there is no fear in how we are created. (1 John 4:18). That we are HIS workmanship, and and the pressure is lifted off of us in whatever we do (be at home to raise children, be in the workforce, do both... whatever.) The pressure is lifted off because whatever we do, it is HIS work. (Eph 2:10) And may we find freedom in that. 
  • Annie Downs told us that words are powerful. That we speak life or death. To be kind online (not just on our blogs, but on facebook, twitter, online commenting, and in 'real life'...). To fight darkness with light. That what we say and how we say it truly matters. 
(reflecting)

Midway through Saturday during a long break, I snuck off to a quiet empty conference room to write. As a natural introvert, all of my energy (plus some) had been used up by this time, and I just had to be still and exist and drink more coffee. 

I also went to the Sashes market that was filled with handmade items from many many talented women! My bank account may or may not have taken a significant  hit by this...but I was supporting original handmade goods by women, so what was wrong with that, really? 

(sashes market)

Saturday evening ended in worship. I was really honestly too exhausted to participate. My mind was full of newly learned things, and my heart was raw from dealing with them. I just wanted to go home and sleep. But the experience of standing in a room full of women I had been with for two straight days, women whose stories I heard (both deep heartbreaks, and deep joy) and seeing them stand in a room worshiping the Lord through it all and despite it all- moved me beyond exhaustion to joy. I felt hope in my relationship with Jesus and also a quieter sense of hope and camaraderie within this new community I had found. Both of which I had stumbled upon unknowingly. 

As C.S. Lewis says, in Surprised by Joy“I was still young and the whole world of beauty was opening before me, my own officious obstructions were... swept aside and, startled into self-forgetfulness, I again tasted Joy."

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to go, I went too and all the expectations I had about what I would be learning flew out the window the first night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome, how you stumbled upon the conference. Beautifully written recap, makes me wish I was back there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a great time! I'm bummed I missed worship but everything was so good! :) Loving your recap notes!! Good stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete